LOS ANGELES—With cycling increasing in popularity throughout Los Angeles County, there has never been a better time to ride your bike, whether for work or play. The Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority (Metro) is celebrating Bike Month in May by offering bicyclists free rides on the Metro System on Thursday, May 17, offering discounted bike share passes and supporting several two-wheeled transportation events throughout the month.
- May 12 – Bike Class – Rules of the Road, 9 a.m. in Gardena. This class covers bicycling basics and shows participants how to improve their bike control skills. See schedule for more information.
- May 15 – Blessing of the Bicycles, 8-9:30 a.m. at Good Samaritan Hospital. Annual event to promote bicycling and safety. See website for more information.
- May 17 – Bike to Work Day. Metro will offer free rides to people who board with a bicycle or bicycle helmet on all Metro buses and trains.
- Metro’s Bike Share Program is offering free walk-up rides on Metro Bikes. Walk-up to any station and use the promo code 5172018 for a free 30-minute ride. Additional 30-minute rides are only $3.50 each. Find Metro Bike Share stations on the web.
- Metro will also co-sponsor more than 60 bicycle pit stops with refreshments and giveaways countywide. See website for more information.
- May 18 – Bike Night at Union Station, 6-9 p.m. Fun-filled event with prizes, entertainment and food trucks. See website for more information.
- May 20 – Bike Class – Rules of the Road, 3-5 p.m. in Long Beach. This class covers bicycling basics and shows participants how to improve their bike control skills. See schedule here.
- May 26 – Metro Bike Share Ride to Venice Artists & Fleas, 10 a.m. -12:30 p.m. in Venice. Bike ride to daylong local shopping event. See website for more information.